Hicksville’s Historical Society uses funds from afghan sales for restoration and maintenance of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church and the Land Office building and collection. Featured scenes, taken from vintage photos, remind us of days gone by.
ST. PAUL’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1875 by A. P. Edgerton, the Gothic Revival structure features original furnishings.
B & O DEPOT stood on the railroad elevation until it was torn down by workers. The train line was diverted through Hicksville due to A. P. Edgerton’s efforts. Twelve trains a day were a boon to business.
THE LAND OFFICE was built in 1840 for the Hicks and American Land Companies by their agent, A. P. Edgerton. The Greek Revival building was a center of commerce through which more than 140,000 acres of land were sold.
HART’S BANDS were formed in the early 1900’s by jeweler O. V. Hart. After his widely acclaimed Boy Band disbanded to volunteer for WWI, his Girl Band took center stage to even more acclaim and travel.
THE HUBER OPERA HOUSE was part of the Huber Opera Block, a Huber family endeavor. As a try-out theatre for New York and Chicago bound shows, the Huber was noted for its perfect acoustics. It also served the area as a center of varied community activities and a movie theater. The Huber is once again a vital part of downtown.
THE SWILLEY HOTEL was operated by John and Maria Swilley. Their daughter was discovered while waiting tables there and rose to fame as Broadway actress Amelia Bingham, the first American woman to succeed as a producer/manager/actress on Broadway.
HICKSVILLE’S PUBLIC SCHOOL was built in 1896 to replace an earlier structure. At various times, combinations of grades K–12 met here, and the town’s first community library was housed in the basement. It was demolished in 1959.
THE JEWELER’S CLOCK was installed by the Hart Brother jewelers and marked the time for downtown shoppers for many years. It was removed with the sale of the building and is represented in the school.
GAR STATUE was erected by the Grand Army of the Republic, a Civil War Veteran’s group. Opinion was divided as to where it should stand, but Forest Home Cemetery was chosen over an in-town site.
COUNTY FAIR roots stretch back through several agricultural societies. With the Edgertons’ donation of land in Hicksville, the fair expanded. Buffalo Bill was among the many acts who entertained there.
HOLLYWOOD gets a nod with holly berries in the center decoration, reminding us that Hicksville native Daeida Hartle Wilcox Beveridge was co-founder and developer of Hollywood, California. She named the town on a trip back to her hometown and followed Edgerton’s example for that city.
OAK LEAF BORDERS harken back to settlement days when teams of loggers felled the great trees of the swampy forests. Timber sales to the east coast and milling operations were the first profitable industries in the area.
Afghans were available in 100% machine washable cotton from The Hicksville Historical Society, P. O. Box 162, Hicksville, OH 43526. Visit our Store to see a color photo. These recently sold out.
Web site and all contents Copyright © 2006 The Hicksville Historical Society, Inc. All rights reserved.